Monday 7 September 2009

People Tree Madeline Jacket

People Tree is one of those brands that I've tended to admire from afar, but have avoided perusing too deeply because I've always been scared of their prices. But the other week their catalogue fell into my mail box and I've been seriously considering parting with some of my well-earned cash ever since (or at least, parting with some of said cash when I finally start earning it again - Oct 31st, here I come!)



Ok, so they've got their fair share of quite grown-up fashion and of shapeless, fair trade bits and pieces, but, like many ethical companies, they are particularly good at tailored outerwear, I think. This Madeline coat is no more expensive than a decent coat from the high street at £90 - which really isn't very much to pay when you consider that the fabric is handwoven - in fact, I've begun to feel that once you start reading up on why the prices are high (hand weaving, hand embroidering, fair wages in very deprived areas offering independence and a lifeline to exploited women workers etc) they start to seem a lot more reasonable.



I also love this Bora Aksu cotton jacket (£75, and the t-shirt beneath, £42!). These are quirky but wearable pieces, and I fully intend to purchase a wide black patent belt to solve the problem that there are no fastenings on the Madeline coat - two looks in one, I feel!

Plus, I've just discovered that you can also collect nectar points online from People Tree, which you can save up and use to buy books - so, I can also further my research by buying fair-trade fashion! I think I'm onto a winner here...

No comments:

Post a Comment